Monday 27 January 2020

What is a poem?

Once I was asked: what is a poem?

The question, what is a poem,  may have many different answers, depending on whom you would talk to. When I started my own attempts at writing lyrics, I was convinced that poetry has to rhyme, but then I read so many beautiful, touching poems that did not rhyme, that I have given up this notion. Deep inside, I still like better rhyming poems, though.

The best definition of a poem, I read in Emerson's essay, the poet. This essay is freely available online, and Emerson wrote the following  <"...For it is not metres, but a metre-making argument that makes a poem,--a thought so passionate and alive that like the spirit of a plant or an animal it has an architecture of its own, and adorns nature with a new thing. The thought and the form are equal in the order of time, but in the order of genesis the thought is prior to the form."> 

I agree very much that the poem making argument is what makes a poem. In far too many verses, the argument tends to get lost in beautiful lyrics and the reader experiences only an impressive collection of words.

I like poems with wonderful metaphors.

I think nobody really has a universal definition for poetry, but it is still worth, I feel, to take some time every day to read a poem or two. (for a modest collection of simple, yet interesting motivational and inspirational poems, please click this safe link )
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you found a few drops of inspiration 
If you felt good while reading this blog
Please do not hesitate to share the feelings, the inspiration with your family and friends
There is no copyright. No issues. (just will grateful if you attach my name as an author).
Same goes for my poems, I wrote under the author name Aufie Zophy. as in the safe link above
  Other blogs and sites from my hand:
Inspirational quotes
Small prayers for a big world

Dutch version of some of my posts: Juweeltjes voor de ziel



No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree, do you disagree, please comment...