Monday 5 August 2019

Essays on good things

When I was a bit younger, I really enjoyed reading essays about certain virtues. I had a book written by Sydney W Bremer, containing just that. Whenever I read something, about let's say politeness, it felt good. Of course, I knew that politeness was a virtue worthy of practicing as much as I can, but after reading the essay, I felt the need to be a bit more polite than usual. It was as if the reading of the essay had brought the virtue of politeness, that was sitting somewhere really deep in my consciousness, way back to the surface of my brain, to the surface of my being.

In today's news, I found hundreds of articles on gun violence, hundreds of articles on vicious politicians making the wrong decisions for the people. I think they do it knowingly which makes it worse.

But before this small post becomes yet another piece on all the negative, I want to announce a small initiative of myself: In an attempt to contribute a tiny bit to balance all negativity with some positivity, I started a series of essays on specifically named good things. Sometimes we want to read something very short and inspiring, but more than merely a quote. My first one is a small essay (less than 400 words, less than a full A4 page long) on respect, the origin and true meaning of respect. I hope you enjoy it:
To read it, please click on respect
I have also one on luck
one on nature
one on greatness
one on ideals
one on empathy
and one on openness
and still writing... 😃

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree, do you disagree, please comment...