Monday 21 March 2022

Death of a parent

I thought of the death of my mother. 

 There are two things that helped me deal with it better: (1) the visit from a friend in the days following her death who explained that our loved ones automatically forgive us things we did or did-not do to/for them. I think the biggest and worst part of grief is the feeling of guilt. I am still grateful for that friend since he made the grief a bit lighter. (2) The fact of being never able to meet her again was gnawing on my inside until during a prayer I became really grateful for having had a such a wonderful mother. Quite suddenly the focus from bitterness of not having her anymore switched to a gratefulness of having had her.
 

There is actually a third thing too: (3) her almost extreme level of care and love, I experience now again and again, are living on in me. Thanks to her love and care, I have been the person I am until today. Love and care for others is what brings us most happiness and I am quite convinced that i manage to pass her love and care also on to others in my circle of influence. I know somewhere inside, that that part of her is definitely not dead and perhaps may never die :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree, do you disagree, please comment...