Sunday 11 December 2016

Power / temper

Today I lost my temper a bit during a ward round.

It is so easy for a consultant who heads the round to let his or her temper flare.
So easy to belittle the medical officer who forgot something.
They may have done 99 things right but they tend to get it for the 1 thing wrong.

Whenever I lose a bit of my temper, I almost always regret it, within the same day.
Being kind and humble, no matter what position we are in ourselves is one of my aspirations.

But then again we are only human.
Sometimes we are not in a good mood because things happening outside of our work.
Then we start the round with good intentions but if something seems to be revealed
that should not have happened, it adds stress. If then the one who "did it" tries to
hide the obvious, sometimes, off the temper goes.


On calm seas, it is easy to steer the ship towards all love.
If we manage to do so on rough seas too, we get a bit closer to the ideal, I think.
Whenever something happens like today (losing my temper during a round,
out of a position of power), I feel I have a long, long way to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree, do you disagree, please comment...